Grade 1 restoration
A major restoration of Thomas Archer’s English Baroque masterpiece. Internal redecoration, joinery repairs, improvements to wiring and lighting. Recreation of the 1725 decorative scheme with Dr Ian Bristow. New lighting including fibre optics fittings. Underfloor heating was installed below the original timber floor and pews. The incorporation of wheelchair access was a central part of the design and resolved a long-standing problem caused by the tall podium and many steps.
The project also included external repairs to stonework, including the massive podium and steps, and replacement of the roof finish. The project attracted the largest HLF grant ever to be received by a parish church, in terms of both the total amount (£3.2 million) and the unusually high percentage (82%).