ROYAL MASONIC SCHOOL
The Royal Masonic School for Girls was founded in 1788 and is one of the oldest girls’ schools in the country. Originally intended to educate the daughters of Freemasons the School moved to Rickmansworth in 1934. In 1978 RMS became an open, fee-paying, school accepting girls from all backgrounds and faiths, the vast majority of whom have no links with Freemasonry.
The practice developed a design for a major extension to the imposing 1930’s school buildings to provide staff and reception areas around a new entrance and reception hall. The extension was designed to match the detailing of the existing building. Unusually, the large and imposing arch of the main entrance was constructed as loadbearing masonry. Although the local authority initially opposed the extension, it subsequently gave the project a Design Award.