GRAVESEND TOWN HALL
Gravesend Old Town Hall is a grade 2* listed building made up from several structures constructed, altered and extended since the C17th. At various times it housed the custom house, mortuary, police station, police court and cells as well as the civic rooms. In 1836 the High Street frontage was unified by a fine façade with a portico in the Greek Doric order by Amon H Wildes.
This major repair and alteration project was carried out in four phases over a five year period. It included roofing and masonry repairs, the installation of new heating, ventilation and electrical services, removal of 1960s alterations, new commercial and food preparation kitchens, additional WCs, a lift and universal access.
The project brought the building back into community use after it became redundant in 2000, when the Magistrates’ Court moved out. It was complex, not only in terms of the building and the work which needed to be carried out, but in terms of changing clients, funders and consultation relationships.