Thomas Francis Ford (1891-1971) showed early talent, being the recipient of the RIBA Ashpitel prize of 1919. He set up in Practice in 1926, initially with William Harkess as Ford and Harkess, but later as Thomas F Ford. His sons John and Alan, and son in law Harold Cooper became Partners in 1964 since when the practice has continued as Thomas Ford and Partners.
Early work included houses and commercial buildings, including cinemas, as well as the repair of historic buildings. As time passed educational and ecclesiastical work began to play an important part in the work of the practice. The practice carried out much post war reconstruction in the Diocese of Southwark including the rebuilding of St John’s Waterloo for the Festival of Britain.
Thomas Ford’s architectural style developed into the pared down Soaneian Classism that characterises many of his churches of the mid twentieth century, frequently working in collaboration with the mural artist Hans Feibusch. These have a close affinity with C20th Scandinavian classicism and were featured in the 2014 (Vol 2) journal of the C20th Society.
The practice maintains a small drawings and photographic archive which is available for research by appointment.