GUILDFORD CATHEDRAL

GUILDFORD

Guildford Cathedral is one of only two Anglican Cathedrals constructed in the 20th century. Designed by Sir Edward Maufe the Cathedral was commenced in the 1930’s but not completed until 1965.

The 2011 quinquennial inspection highlighted major issues with the building which were affecting the very existence of the Cathedral. Works began in 2012 and included; roof repairs, external re pointing and plastering.

The Cathedral is used by a wide range of secular groups and for the first time in 50 years the Cathedral can show off the original sense of space and lightness which were central to Sir Edwards’ original design. The Cathedral Chapter is now able to not only use the Cathedral for worship but musical events, civic and corporate events and education. The Cathedral has even been used for star gazing and thousands have attended each event. The project has given the Cathedral a new financial future and a sense of purpose.

  • White Instagram Icon
  • White Twitter Icon

Follow our updates on social media.

© 2020 by Thomas Ford & Partners