ST GEORGE'S CHURCH &
HANOVER SQUARE, LONDON
St George’s Church, Hanover Square is one of a group of twelve London churches created in the first quarter of the eighteenth century. This distinguished group, the “1711 Queen Anne Churches”, are of exceptional importance in the history of church architecture in England.
The conversion of the undercroft, previously only used for storage, has hugely enhanced the life and facilities of the church. The flexible new spaces provide a main undercroft space and green room together with a kitchen, toilet facilities, and wheelchair access, both into the church and down to the undercroft.
On weekdays, the main undercroft space will be occupied by a restaurant and the space will also provide interval refreshments for visitors attending concerts in the church. The undercroft will also be able to accommodate wedding receptions and space for the Sunday School.
Work to the interior won Thomas Ford & Partners a Georgian Group award.