ALL SAINTS

WEST DULWICH

All Saints is a church on an epic scale. Although George Fellowes-Prynne’s design was incomplete when funds ran out in 1891, it still dominates the skyline. A catastrophic fire destroyed the roof, windows and floors and left the brick and stone severely stressed. Thomas Ford and Partners architects were on site during the fire fighting and were able to prevent the loss of some building elements, but demolition was seriously considered.

When the parish decided to reconstruct their church within the surviving shell, they took the opportunity to review their needs for worship and other uses and to consider how the scarred building could make its own contribution. A new west end links the ground floor with the crypt below, which houses a children’s nursery sharing use of the main hall. Enhanced access and other facilities can be used by different congregation and community groups at the same time thanks to the flexible layout and glazed acoustic screens which create a light and open environment.

  • White Instagram Icon
  • White Twitter Icon

Follow our updates on social media.

© 2020 by Thomas Ford & Partners