GRAVESEND TOWN PIER
The Pier was built in 1834 and is the world’s oldest cast iron pier. Almost at the point of structural collapse, it was bought by Gravesham Borough Council to spearhead the regeneration of Gravesend's Heritage Quarter. Thomas Ford & Partners were appointed to repair the historic structure and to design a new entrance pavilion.
The project has secured the future of the historic structure; promoted regeneration; provided public access and has guaranteed income for future maintenance by creating facilities for a commercial tenant.
Following the successful restoration of the Grade II* listed Town Pier, the practice was appointed by Gravesham Borough Council as lead consultant for a new pontoon which has restored the historic function of the pier by allowing passenger ferries to berth at all stages of the tide.